Mar 16 2010

A Note for my FaceBook friends about Network Marketing

network-marketingI will never get involved in Network Marketing ever again. Unless I’m part owner of the company who “really” owns the business. Here is the note I wrote to my FaceBook friends.

The FaceBook Note I wrote:

I have noticed a new burst of Network Marketers in my circle of friends and new contacts. I know it has a lot to do with the economy, job loss and people wanting to be their own boss. Yes, I know when you are in Network Marketing as soon as you say these phrases to me:

• I found this great new opportunity I want to share with you (not giving any details…)
  • I’m building a new team in your area, and this is a ground floor opportunity…
  • Would you like to make an extra $1,500 a month working from home…
  • What if I told you you could make [insert $ amount] by [insert clever activity from home]
  • What if you could make a ton of money just by purchasing the products you already use..
  • etc. etc. etc.

Now that I have sort of clarified who’s in network marketing and some of the things I hear when someone is about to approach me, lets talk about why I’m no longer interested. The thing is I have no problems with network marketing or the business model. It’s actually a smart model for “companies who run them”. They build a legion of people who use their products religiously not because they really like them, but in order to stay “active” long enough to land a bunch of people underneath them to make some money, hopefully a lot. The longer you stay “active” the more money “the company” makes. If you are a great salesman or pitch person and know you can get people to join at the drop of a hat GO FOR IT! But don’t ask me and here’s why…

I have done multiple Network Marketing businesses in my early thirst for independence & entrepreneurship. One of which I was growing fast after 2 years in the business when the company (who really owned the business) decided they wanted to embezzle money and go out of business. Where did that leave me and all the people I had recruited, and the people they recruited? No where, no business, no money. I will say it helped my public speaking skills tremendously, so that was a plus i take from it…

Here is my thing, when I do get my business started it has it to belong to me, where I determine my success or failure. Joining Network Marketing only makes me a slave to whatever the parent company is selling. I have learned that if you start a business where you don’t control your product, inventory, service, etc. you can be fired at any time by the company who does (just like a job). In Network Marketing all you can control is how much you buy and nothing else, not the people you recruit, the products/services or anything else. When then parent company decides they want to sell, change their product line, go mainstream and kill the networking model, your in the tank. You will have to start from scratch with another company…

For all these reasons I choose to start a business where I control everything. The product, how it’s made, where it’s sourced, how much it will cost, etc. That’s the business model for me. If you think you want to start a real business you actually “own” you need to start by figuring out what you love and are passionate about and find a way to turn that into money.

Ideas…

• Go to http://success.alibaba.com/ and look for suppliers to help you create a new product or buy things you love wholesale to market online, or sell in a brick and mortar store…
  • Start a blog (website) talking about the thing your passionate about and get paid for advertising. http://wordpress.org/ or http://problogger.com/ are great resources for that.
  • Think up a good idea and sell it to someone who has the means to bring it to life.
  • Keep your day job and stay open minded till you get that great idea, then once you do make it happen

Point is, I WILL NOT GET INTO ANYMORE BUSINESSES WHERE I AM NOT IN CONTROL OF MY DESTINY. If you can make it happen in Network Marketing that is wonderful, go for it. But make you sure you save the money you make to invest in a business you actually “own” after you are done. Better yet, start a business who model is Network Marketing then you’ll have millions of people selling for you…

THAT IS ALL HAVE A BLESSED DAY AND DO WHAT EVER YOU THINK WILL TAKE YOU TO YOUR DREAMS!!!

83 Comments on this post

Trackbacks

1. pub table said:

Will you be my Facebook Friend?

March 17th, 2010 at 11:53 am
  2. pub table said:

So there is this guy that i think is cute and need help?
    well he goes to a differnt school then me but its
    not far from mine anyways he is my facebook friend
    and like i never met him but i think he is adorable and im to scared to talk to him and
    get to know him.

what should i do ?

March 18th, 2010 at 5:29 am
  3. pub table said:

Facebook friend limit reached?
    I only have 473 friends, however facebook isn't letting me add anymore friends because I've reached my friend limit.
    Meanwhile, I have friends with about 1,000 or more friends.

March 22nd, 2010 at 8:07 am
  4. indiana Real Estate said:

I saw an article on Yahoo about college degrees being worthless (I have one) and it said "teach your kids to network, and market a product". I see articles like this all the time and I feel intimidated.

March 23rd, 2010 at 2:25 pm
  5. honeymoon Sydney said:

You can advertise on Facebook as well but be prepared to spend some money. A good tip is to create a good lead capture page with your own YouTube Video on it telling your story and inviting people to become friends with you and asking them to join your Facebook Group or special Facebook Fan page about your product and cause.

April 2nd, 2010 at 3:16 am
  6. used tires said:

Good points. I have quite a few friends who told me about the risks with this too.

Till then,

Jean

April 4th, 2010 at 4:22 pm
  7. Community said:

Do you currently market online Listen very carefully to the response you get on this. Most will let you know they have no clue how to market online. That’s a green light for you to drop some knowledge but only a little bit because you don’t want to bombard them.

April 5th, 2010 at 6:52 am
  8. indiana Real Estate said:

Lol “this is really creepy isn’t it?” haha. I do the same thing, and I also think it’s creepy, but at least nobody knows!

April 5th, 2010 at 2:39 pm
  9. pub table said:

I have a group of friends whom I placed in a list called 'no status' before and they couldn't read my status updates. Since fb's recent change, without my knowing, now these people can see my status..how do I hide them from status without having to enter it every time into that lock button? i.e. i dont want coworkers reading my i hate my job updates!

April 6th, 2010 at 3:17 am
  10. Billing System said:

Good explain about network marketing. It's really interesting concept.

April 6th, 2010 at 7:31 am
  11. Laptop Briefcase said:

This reminds me of friends of mine who got into some online grocery store pyramid buying scheme. Everytime I was around them they would try to pitch me on the idea. It didn't matter how many times I had said no or how many negatives I pointed out. As a result I didn't want to be around those people.

Affiliate marketing isn't much different than this. I've been in niches where advertisers totally screw over affiliates. So be wary with affiliate marketing as well.

April 6th, 2010 at 9:42 pm
  12. pub table said:

The missing friends just put their public search settings to "Friends only." Basically, if you're not friends with those people, you won't even know they have a Facebook. So you're looking at your friend's friend list but like 9 people are missing. Those 9 people changed their settings so only their own friends can see that they exist on Facebook. You can't see their name but your friend can. You weren't blocked (well, maybe you could be but I doubt it) and they didn't delete their profile.

April 7th, 2010 at 3:20 am
  13. pub table said:

Network marketing is the way to go if you have a full time job and you need extra money. Or if you are just getting ready to retire and you want to have residual income coming in inside of your short 401k coming in. Or maybe you just want to do it full time. I guarantee if you get in to a network marketing company at its inception period, and you do it full time, you will make at least $10,000/mth…..And they say it is just a scam. LOL

April 8th, 2010 at 3:22 am
  14. indiana Real Estate said:

There is nothing special about me that is not equally special about you. We are all human and are all unique beings in this marvelous universe. That makes us all infinitely worthy of every conceivable blessing.

April 8th, 2010 at 10:54 am
  15. irish pub said:

Face book's target audience is more for an adult demographic than a youth demographic Users can add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves. Additionally, users can join networks organized by workplace.

April 8th, 2010 at 2:20 pm
  16. Community said:

Hi very great point all is very impressive share it again by again.

April 9th, 2010 at 10:17 am
  17. web designing tips said:

There is no introduction to face book as it is very popular world widely and most used social networking website through which users can add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves.

April 9th, 2010 at 12:39 pm
  18. pub table said:

Facebook friends? ?
    i have a bunch of friends on facebook, but ive noticed that everyone has mutual friends (which i know that they r people that u know who u have stuff in common) but idk how to get mutual friends. help?

April 10th, 2010 at 3:33 am
  19. Baby Hampers said:

Gather more friends for you at a fast rate. These friends will be specifically targeted. They will be friends of your friends…..and everybody else who is associated with whatever you do…..and in the part of the world that you do it. I will send 200 friend request per day is totally depends on your myspace profile current total friends.

April 15th, 2010 at 6:53 am
  20. web designing tips said:

In my earlier article I'd informed you on the Face book updates. For all you Face book users who love to share your whereabouts on social platforms.

April 24th, 2010 at 11:34 am
  21. honeymoon Sydney said:

Thanks for sharing this useful information about facebook and I have learned something from it, hope this works for me.

April 26th, 2010 at 3:59 am
  22. indiana Real Estate said:

They are trying to get back on but it won't happen. Facebook Terms of Services are clear. It's their web site and they can kick you off for whatever reason they want or even no reason at all. It says so in their terms of services.

April 26th, 2010 at 9:38 am
  23. Komodo Dragons said:

You know… if they have to resort to selling to friends, they likely are not successful in the business. You should be able to be successful without having to pitch sale your friends, in the end they are just gonna lose friends that way.

May 1st, 2010 at 10:38 am
  24. irish pub said:

I don't post anything about my husband and children on there though. I know it is quite safe and my profile is blocked unless I choose to accept a friend. Best way I think.

May 3rd, 2010 at 6:42 am
  25. honeymoon Sydney said:

I despise nothing more than meeting a new friend on facebook and then getting bombarded with SPAM, and wall posts about their primary business. Thanks for the True Leader value my friend.

May 4th, 2010 at 12:01 pm
  26. Baby Hampers said:

This is a simple, easy-to-follow recipe how to connect to new friends on Facebook. It's really not rocket science. The sad truth is: 90 % of the friend request I receive are robot-like. Thanks for sharing your ideas. Have a blessed weekend and take care.

May 5th, 2010 at 6:56 am
  27. indiana Real Estate said:

I checked all the options available in facebook for friends only to see my friends, yet a test run with a neutral, non friend account displayed my friend list.

May 5th, 2010 at 8:29 am
  28. Laptop Briefcase said:

I have had minimal experiences with network marketing, but I think affiliate marketing is fairly similar. You are ultimately a slave to the affiliate company and they can change terms or kick you out of the program at any time. I know better than to bombard my friends with affiliate program offers though.

May 6th, 2010 at 7:55 pm
  29. emdoozie said:

Yeah, well at least with affiliate marketing you can diversify them, so when one goes south it doesn’t hurt as much. With Network marketing people spend years building a tree of people that can be over at the blink of an eye. That’s not a business, it’s a job with no desk or benefits, and you can get fired at any moment.

May 6th, 2010 at 3:23 pm
  30. Randy said:

Really great post!!!

May 7th, 2010 at 10:56 am
  31. emdoozie said:

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it.

May 7th, 2010 at 9:19 am
  32. pub table said:

One of my Facebook friends I met online wants me to work part time for him. He says i'll be promoting a website that has millions of products that people use everyday.

May 8th, 2010 at 10:06 am
  33. indiana Real Estate said:

Hi very funny post feeling very happy.

May 10th, 2010 at 1:11 pm
  34. Baby Hampers said:

In terms of paying for ads in facebook, I will bet that less than 1% of those who even use paid advertising for their MLM know how to do this, and it is definitely somethinig I'm going to look into.

May 11th, 2010 at 10:07 am
  35. Community said:

May 21st, 2010 at 10:36 am
  36. Community said:

You are ultimately a slave to the affiliate company and they can change terms or kick you out of the program at any time. I know better than to bombard my friends with affiliate program offers though. …

May 21st, 2010 at 10:37 am
  37. Community said:

it is very popular world widely and most used social networking website through which users can add friends and send them messages, and update their personal profiles to notify friends about themselves…

May 21st, 2010 at 10:38 am
  38. irish pub said:

t happen in Network Marketing that is wonderful, go for it. But make you sure you save the money you make to invest in a business you actually “own” after you are done….

May 22nd, 2010 at 4:25 am
  39. seo said:

Yeah, effectively at least with affiliate advertising and marketing you possibly can diversify them, so when one particular goes south it does not harm as a lot. With Network advertising and marketing men and women commit decades making a tree of men and women that could be over at the blink of an eye. That's not a enterprise, it's a career without desk or benefits, and you also could possibly get fired at any moment.

May 22nd, 2010 at 11:56 am
  40. irish pub said:

Every time I was around them they would try to pitch me on the idea. It didn't matter how many times I had said no or how many negatives I pointed out. As a result I didn't want to be around those people.

June 1st, 2010 at 7:28 am
  41. indiana Real Estate said:

June 1st, 2010 at 12:49 pm
  42. honeymoon Sydney said:

Excellent points about using facebook. When you follow sound relationship building strategies and use the language of relationship attraction and influence, as X -> Y you will find your facebook or other social bookmarketing posts will become much more attractive to prospects.

June 2nd, 2010 at 11:15 am
  43. Real Estate In India said:

Hi very great points sharing all is use today FaceBook friends about Network all is fully depend on SMO.

June 10th, 2010 at 10:45 am
  44. pub table said:

Thanks for cool post sharing all is really very impressive share it again by again.

June 18th, 2010 at 4:53 am
  45. Real Estate In India said:

June 25th, 2010 at 8:10 am
  46. irish pub said:

How many of those friends in our Facebook are really our friends? Do you contact them often? Or you put them in your Facebook as contacts and no more?

July 1st, 2010 at 6:23 am
  47. honeymoon Sydney said:

As your fans grow you just want to create a network of friends that know who and what you do so they are warming up to you and getting rid of the cold call and replacing it with a warm welcome.

July 1st, 2010 at 10:03 am
  48. indiana Real Estate said:

It’s very easy to join Facebook, which in return lets members create a profile that gives your friends a comprehensive view of what you or your business is all about.

July 1st, 2010 at 4:02 pm
  49. pub table said:

Most Facebook users will recognize at least a few of the top five most annoying friends on Facebook. In order to grow a business by growing and leveraging a virtual – personal – network, avoid these behaviors.

July 5th, 2010 at 3:33 pm
  50. Real Estate In India said:

The platform enables anyone, anywhere, to build complete applications that members can choose to use. Applications range from photo sharing to graffiti walls and everything in between.

July 6th, 2010 at 12:03 pm
  51. Skydiving Sydney said:

One question, what's the difference between Network Marketing and Internet Marketing?

July 7th, 2010 at 4:01 pm
  52. Laptop Briefcase said:

I completely agree. If your network marketing company ditches you, it's not like you can easily switch things over to a new company. You'd be forced to start back at square one. With affiliate marketing it is quite common to switch out advertisers with no problems.

July 7th, 2010 at 11:10 pm
  53. web designer kanpur said:

I think it is really a great way to join community of social networking.The best way to get people to join your group is through personal invitation – so get busy inviting your friends who are already in Facebook.

July 10th, 2010 at 10:33 am
  54. marine products said:

It's so hard to get approved by facebook ads. They don't normally approve capture pages and they didn't even approve my sandwitch page:

July 14th, 2010 at 4:34 am
  55. irish pub said:

I have some other questions about network marketing.I have been presented in gold quest network,and I do not know it.Please help me about.i have no time. Thanks a lot.

July 21st, 2010 at 8:57 am
  56. Bidet said:

Great post, its always good to be in control of your business and always have control if you don't it can be a bad thing.

July 21st, 2010 at 6:48 pm
  57. stag do said:

Set up a quick blog on how you lost weight with , this product. Praise the product. say how great it is, etc. Show some pictures of before and after. Really, go to the products landing page and use so of its content.

July 22nd, 2010 at 5:49 am
  58. stag do said:

July 22nd, 2010 at 5:50 am
  59. marine products said:

Does anyone want to be my friend on facebook? I sort of want some more friends but I don't know who to ask. So… yeah. If you want to be my friend, type in Stephanie Ng and I should be the first person on the page.

July 23rd, 2010 at 9:26 am
  60. Community said:

July 24th, 2010 at 7:21 am
  61. honeymoon Sydney said:

Facebook allows you to send group invitations to all of the contacts in your Outlook, Hotmail, Gmail, and Yahoo accounts………..

July 26th, 2010 at 9:28 am
  62. Community said:

July 28th, 2010 at 4:42 am
  63. irish pub said:

Not impressed so far. Not able to view “all friends” without first creating and adding them into a filtered list. For those people with a lot of friends this is going to be very time consuming. Surely being able to view them all then filtering down to reduce the viewable list would have been more logical.

July 29th, 2010 at 3:51 am
  64. stag do said:

I think these softwares are made by the same company. I use the elite but it looks the same as the blaster and is very the same. Both are very good for saving time but you have to be careful not to add too much people in a small time.

July 29th, 2010 at 9:04 am
  65. honeymoon Sydney said:

I think Facebook is very powerful way to establish good relationships and pre-built your relationships with your network marketing prospects.

July 31st, 2010 at 11:21 am
  66. tires said:

@Laptop, I know what you are saying there, I had a friend who tried to pitch to me…I always say if you have to resort to "friends" to pitch your ideas to, then you really should find a different alternative to make money, because eventually your friends is gonna run out.

Till then,

Jean

August 1st, 2010 at 10:52 am
  67. irish pub said:

August 2nd, 2010 at 2:58 am
  68. irish pub said:

Great post! Network marketing takes time. If you have no time, you won't make much money. You need to dedicate two or three hours a day to your business.

August 2nd, 2010 at 2:59 am
  69. honeymoon Sydney said:

One of the aspects of Facebook is the “news feed” that is updated every time one of your friends changes status or does something such as commenting or adding information to their profile.

August 2nd, 2010 at 4:31 am
  70. marine products said:

I used to be able to click all friends and see all friends on facebook but now I can only see specific friends. I used to be able to click on see all friends under my friends profile on facebook

August 3rd, 2010 at 6:21 am
  71. pub table said:

It’s the man who waits for his ship to come in who’s always missing the boat”. Anonymous The difference between Success And Failure in Network Marketing.

72. kennel dogs said:

i had over 250 friends on facebook ,but when i added view my online friends application nearly all my friends vanished ,any body know why?

73. web designer kanpur said:

I think it is really great platform with have good community with have nice suggestion.I am totally satisfy with your article on this topic….

74. Roasted Coffee said:

Thanks for all the essential tips. Facebook is really the best platform to build your network.
    I just love both twitter and facebook, both are really awesome social networking sites and I'm getting
    tremendous benefit from both.

75. web designer Jhansi said:

Friend you are doing great job. Carry on…………
    I am agree with your thinking.Thanks .
    I hope in future I will find new and more good things…………………….

76. pub table said:

Network marketing is a means of distribution that allows you to earn income from the efforts of many. It’s through this ‘leveraging’ of your time that allows you to earn unlimited income; income that can continue to flow even when you are not working. Some of the benefits of network marketing include: being able to set your own hours, the ability to earn unlimited income, low start up cost, and no stocking of inventory – just to name a few. Of course, you can have fun and make a lot of new friends, while you earn money too!

77. Community said:

yes – it's finally official! If you need your page redesigned to 520px please feel free to cntact us for a competitive quote

78. printing said:

The best way to get people to join your group is through personal invitation, so get busy inviting your friends who are already in Facebook and Twitter.

79. Aluminum Cases said:

Exactly. Desperate network marketers keep hammering away at their friends without realizing they may be jeopardizing their friendships. Eventually your friends will get sick of it and will start avoiding you.

80. indiana Real Estate said:

81. web designer kanpur said:

These are really good guidelines of FaceBook friends about Network Marketing.

82. aurangabad said:

Very nice and Informative post i like this,Keep Continue

November 30th, -0001 at 12:00 am
  83. http://hcgweightlossresults.blogspot.com/2007/10/1st-day-starting-over-58-pounds-lost.html?m=1 said:

Wonderful, what a website it is! This webpage presents valuable data to

us, keep it up.